Episode 9 – Chef Al Maykel
Caribbean Conch Fritters
- oil (for frying)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- ground cayenne pepper, to taste
- red pepper flakes , to taste
- salt, to taste (optional)
- ground coarse black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup chopped conch
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/4 green bell pepper, chopped fine
- 1/4 yellow bell pepper, chopped fine
- 1/4 red bell pepper, chopped fine
- 2 stalks celery, chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Heat the oil in large pot or deep fryer to 365F (185 degrees C).
In a bowl, mix the flour, egg and milk.
Season with cayenne pepper, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
Mix in the conch meat, onion, red & yellow & green pepper, celery and garlic.
Drop the batter by rounded tablespoons or ice cream scoop into the hot oil and fry until golden brown.
Remove the basket or with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
Now, is the time to slightly season, again.
In a bowl, mix the ketchup, “lime” juice, mayonnaise, hot sauce, salt & pepper.
Serve dipping sauce on the side with the fritters.
Grilled Grouper with a Tropical Slaw Salad
- 1 mango, peeled and cubed
- ¼ fresh pineapple diced,
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, chopped
- ½ sweet onion thin julienne cut
- 1 small scotch bonnet peppers or 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Jamaican jerk seasoning to taste
Combine vinegar, sugar, mayonnaise, jerk seasons, salt and pepper and incorporate. Combine onions, cabbage, carrots, cilantro, minced pepper, mango and pineapple. Mix together well and refrigerate.