½lb green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces, blanched, refreshed
½lb peas – frozen
Salt and Pepper to taste
¼ bunch rosemary – chopped
4 X 5 " pre-made short crust pastry shells
4 X 5 " round puff pastry tops
1 egg – beaten
1. In a large bowl combine all ingredients for dry rub marinade of lamb shanks – set aside for at least 4 hours.
2. Heat ¼ cup olive oil in a large braising pot until hot.
3. Add marinated lamb shanks and sear on all sides until browned – set aside.
4. Once all shanks are browned add celery, onion, and carrot to pot, stirring well for 5 minutes.
5. Add garlic and mix for another 2-3 minutes.
6. Deglaze pan with red wine and then add beef stock and tomato sauce.
7. Bring liquid to boil then turn down and allow to simmer. Cover pot with lid and allow lamb to braise for approx. 3 hours or until meat is falling off the bone.
8. Remove the shanks and then strain the braising liquid, saving the vegetables.
9. Place strained braising liquid back on heat in a smaller pot and reduce until it coats the back of a spoon.
10. In a separate bowl peel the meat off the shank bones and break up slightly.