Cocoa Braised Short Ribs of Beef
||3 hours, 30 minutes|
Entrée, Main Dish
- 5lb beef short ribs
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons coffee, ground
- 1/2 cup cocoa, Dutch & unsweetened
- 2 tablespoons five spice powder
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1 onion, medium, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 celery stalks, split lengthwise & diced
- 1.5 cups red wine, dry
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 can stout (drink the remainder while prepping)
- 2 tablespoons corn starch, dissolved in 2 tbsp stock
- 6 scallions for garnish, bias cut
Cooking Time - not including resting time for the ribs, which is 4-8 hours.
|1. Remove ribs from wrapping and pat dry with paper towel. Dust both sides with salt and pepper. |
2. Combine ground coffee, cocoa, five spice and garlic. Generously sprinkle on ribs or toss the mixture with the ribs in a large sealed plastic bag.
3. Let ribs rest 4 to 8 hours in the refrigerator, but remember to take them out an hour before you begin cooking.
4. Pre-heat the oven to 250°.
5. On medium, pre-heat a large, heavy-duty pan. Sauté bacon, celery, onion and carrots in oil until vegetables become slightly softened (about 10 minutes).
6. Remove vegetables from the pan, and sauté ribs on both sides until browned or have a crust.
7. Add vegetables back in along with the wine, stock and beer. Cover and bake for 3 to 4 hours until ribs are fork-tender.
8. Remove ribs from the broth and place in a casserole-style dish.
9. Skim excess fat from the pot. On medium, warm the pot and whisk in the dissolved cornstarch. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes. The sauce should seem thick, but feel free to adjust the viscosity with stock.
10. Pour sauce over ribs, garnish with scallion pieces and serve.