1. Scrub the potatoes with a brush; be sure to get all the dirt off them because you are leaving the skins on.
2. Boil potatoes until tender, approximately 8-15 minutes.
3. Strain potatoes, and pat dry.
4. Heat a heavy skillet with 1 cup of canola oil.
5. Cut the potatoes in half and/or flatten the whole thing, with your palm.
6. Season both sides of the smashed potato with kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper.
7. Lightly fry the potatoes -just until they turn golden, remember that they are already cooked.
8. Remove potatoes and place on a cooling rack or on top of paper towels to drain any excess oil.
9. Top with Sour cream and chives.
Sour Cream and Chives
1. Chop chives into ⅛ inch bits.
2. Mix chives into sour cream then refrigerate—you can make this a day ahead